RECIPES - NEWS FROM THE YOGA SANCTUARY
Grandma Jean Sloan is tuning 100 today! On December 1, 1910 she was
born into the cookie-making business, as her father was a baker. Grandma
only makes these rich, buttery cookies at Christmas time. You will discover
why, once you eat one.
pound of butter, salted or unsalted, but get the best money can buy
1. Beat the butter until smooth and creamy, by hand, or use an electric mixer.
2. Add the sugar and blend well until smooth.
3. Add the flour, blend well and form into a ball.
4. Cover with a cloth and refrigerate the dough for about 30 minutes to an hour to make it easier to handle.
5. Preheat oven to 275°F. Now to prepare the cookies. You can roll the dough into a log, on a lightly floured surface, to about 2 inches in diameter and cut them about 1/4 of an inch thick with a sharp knife. Or you can roll out the dough, on a lightly floured surface, to about 1/4 inch thick. Then cut the dough with lightly floured, shaped, cookie cutters.
6. Place the cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned.
7. Cool well. You can store the shortbread in an airtight container or tin for about one week.
© 1999-2013 The Yoga Sanctuary Inc. Toronto, Canada